What you need to know
We want you and your family to feel comfortable and confident as you begin rehabilitation. Please review the following important information.
Your safety and security
Safety is a top priority. We ask that all patients, family members and visitors help us maintain a safe environment by following the guidelines posted throughout the hospital. Security staff is also on hand to help ensure everyone’s safety.
We advise you to leave any valuables, jewelry, credit cards, checkbooks or large amounts of cash at home. If you need to have certain items with you, please speak with our security office or nursing staff for more information.
Your comfortVisiting hours. The support of family and friends is important to the rehabilitation process. Visiting hours are from 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily. Parking is free at all campuses. Please note: visitors are not allowed in treatment areas, unless they’ve been asked specifically to participate in a training or education session. We recommend scheduling visits later in the day, so you can focus on your therapy. To respect the needs of all our patients, we ask that you have no more than two visitors in your room at one time. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
What to bring
As you prepare for your stay at Kessler Institute, please be sure to bring:
- Ribbed cotton socks (non-elastic tops)
- Sneakers or rubber-soled shoes with good support
- Washable, loose-fitting trousers or sweatpants (preferably not denim or corduroy)
- Long/short sleeve shirts or knit tops
- Sweater and/or sweatshirt/fleece
- Outdoor jacket or coat
- Laundry bag and extra hangers
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and denture care products
- Soap, shampoo, conditioner
- Comb, brush and hair products; hair dryer
- Shaving supplies
- Hearing aids
- Items to meet special needs
- Medical equipment issued by hospital
- Home medication list
- Other needed items
Please leave all valuables at home. Kessler is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Laundry. Please set up a laundry schedule with family members or friends to keep your clothing and personal items clean. Laundry services may be available through your Kessler campus; please speak with a staff member for more information.
Personal equipment. Individuals who have their own wheelchairs, walkers, canes, braces or other aids should bring them. Please label items clearly with your name and indicate “Personal Property.” Kessler is not responsible for the maintenance and/or upkeep of personal items, nor for any loss of or injury from this equipment.
Communication and electronic devices
Interpreter services. Kessler offers care-related interpreter services free of charge for patients with limited English proficiency and services for individuals with other communication difficulties.
Telephone service. Individual phone service is provided free of charge in patient rooms. For calls within New Jersey, dial “9” for an outside line at our West Orange, Saddle Brook and Chester campuses -- or “7” at our Marlton Campus – followed by the area code and number. Long-distance service is not available. To place a call within Kessler, simply dial the four-digit extension or “0” for assistance. The use of personal cell phones is permitted throughout the hospital except in the therapy gyms or treatment areas.
Television. In-room, basic area cable service is provided free of charge. Televisions are also located in lounge areas for your enjoyment.
Wi-Fi. Free Wi-Fi service is available using our guest wireless network “selmedguest.”
Personal devices. Cell phones, laptops or personal music/video players are permitted in your room or appropriate public areas. They are not permitted in therapy gyms or other treatment areas. In addition, you may use hairdryers, electric shavers, etc. for your personal needs. These items must be inspected and tagged by our maintenance staff. Kessler is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Mail. Mail is delivered daily, except Sunday and federal holidays. Outgoing mail can be dropped at the at the nurses' station or main reception desk. In addition, at the West Orange campus, there is a mailbox located outside the administrative entrance.
Kessler is tobacco- and alcohol-free
Smoking. The use of tobacco products is not permitted anywhere on Kessler property, including: parking lots, patio areas, sidewalks, walkways and other outdoor spaces. Smoking is also not permitted in any vehicle while on our property. Similarly, no candles or devices with open flames are permitted inside the building.
Alcohol and drugs. The possession or use of alcohol or illegal drugs is not permitted under any circumstances and will subject the patient to discharge. Medical testing is mandatory in cases of suspected substance abuse. If an individual would like counseling for drug or alcohol dependency, we will refer him/her to one of our psychologists.
We value relationships with our patients and their families based on mutual respect, trust and understanding. It is the foundation of a successful rehabilitation experience. To help optimize your recovery and make your stay at Kessler as rewarding as possible, we ask that you abide by the following guidelines:
- Please provide staff with all relevant information necessary to develop and implement your plan of care and ensure coordination of insurance and medical benefits.
- An informed patient is the cornerstone of a safe and effective rehabilitation environment. We encourage you to ask questions about your care plan.
- Depending on your insurance coverage, you may be responsible for a portion of your bill for services provided. You are obligated to fulfill your financial commitments.
- Please assist us in maintaining a safe and quiet healing environment. Be respectful of other patients, staff, hospital policies and property.
- All patients are expected to be active participants in the rehabilitation process, following the agreed-upon treatment plan and clinical instructions. Skills learned in therapy sessions, particularly those related to activities of daily living, should be applied and practiced on the nursing unit and in dining/leisure areas as recommended by your treatment team. Each patient accepts the consequences of his/her informed participation in the agreed upon plan.
- Observe posted visiting hours and visitor rules. Note that family members and/or caregivers will be provided with specific information if training or education sessions are scheduled. •
- Please understand that it might become necessary to transfer you to another room or floor during your Kessler stay. We appreciate your cooperation and apologize for any inconvenience.
- Discharge is scheduled for 10 a.m. If, for any reason, you are unable to leave at this time, your belongings will be held for you in a secure area so that we may prepare your room for another patient.